- I saw a lot of movies in October, including Sex Drive, W., Happy-Go-Lucky, and Role Models.
- I failed to procure an acceptable costume for Halloween, which is just as well as I ended up staying in.
- I won the first season of Mad Men on DVD from Best Week Ever when I came in second in their Mad Men giveaway. Thanks, Kurt, for being a homo and for cutting Peggy’s hair.
- “You know how I know it’s fall?”
- Khloé and Jeff hosted their third annual autumnal feast. Everybody was impressed by the delicious food, the vivacious company, and the fancy Japanese toilet.
- I had a piece in Time Out’s weddings issue. Check it out here.
Tag Archives: Time Out Chicago
- I am no longer writing for Recapist.com. Feeling somewhat relieved, but still a little sad. Especially since the site’s founder, Michael, was so nice to work for.
- I am seriously contemplating traveling to the Philippines in March for my grandmother’s 85th birthday. It is my aunt’s idea that we all go together.
- My birthday is only five days after hers (and four days after my dad’s) so I’d most definitely be spending my birthday in the motherland.
- First visit back in 25 years. Twenty. Five. Motherfuckin’. Years. Continue reading
what is on my mind this morning
- the election (duh): No longer satisfied to just donate money, consume news and commentary via Twitter, or rant at my television, I am ready (finally) to volunteer. I could call for change tonight at Ann Sather on Belmont with my Lakeview neighbors, or just head down to Obama IL HQ anytime. So many choices, so many ways to “rock for Barack”, so to speak.
- the economy: Yeah, I can still pay my rent. I’m lucky enough to still have a job with health insurance and a 401(k). But other folks are struggling. My folks are struggling, and have been for a long time. Always voting for the GOP, they’re committed to voting for Senator Obama come November. I think Senator Obama’s economic policy could provide them and other working people with some relief.
- rumors: I’m no longer interested in hearing rumors and lies from pretty much anybody. Yes, I’m talking about the election. If we’re talking celebrities being discussed in US Weekly, however, that’s fine. Um, on second thought…
- sadness: My apartment is a sty. I’ve said it. I need help cleaning it. I know this sounds familiar to the people who know me, and the few people who’ve seen my old apartments, but seriously. Nothing says “fat loser spinster” like a freezer full of single portions of frozen vegetables and salmon. Okay, maybe not in general, but when you live in a studio, you can’t help but hear “Eleanor Rigby” every time you come home. Though in my mind it’s the defiant version by Aretha Franklin from “This Girl’s In Love With You”.
- That being said: http://you-are-beautiful.com/youarebeautiful/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/seancookcoribruderealansing.jpg (thank you, Xina)
- My admiration and adoration of Ina Garten, aka “The Barefoot Contessa”, continues. I made her chicken with goat cheese and basil Monday night for supper. OMFG. Picture is on Flickr. I got lazy, though, and bought boneless, skin-on chicken breast from Whole Foods instead of getting skin-on, bone-in from Dominick’s and de-boning myself. Because my knife skills are amateur at best, and anyway my beautiful Wusthoff needs to be sharpened anyway. I shoudl remember to take care of that, as the Whole Foods chicken, being organic and de-boned and from Whole Foods, was really expensive. Really expensive. But still very good.
what i’m up to (work-wise)
- working on another piece for Time Out Chicago (woot!)
- thinking up things to post on Gapers Block
- recapping like a fool for Recapist — MTV aired two episodes of “The Hills” this week, and they were really good.
what i’ve got going (fun-wise)
What did I do this week?
- wrote recap of this week’s episode of “The Hills”, “Drama Follows Them”. I kinda feel bad that Jessica got fired, but you Hills fans already knew about her canning. Also, Kelly Cutrone clearly rules. When do we get a show just about her?
- I posted three items to Gapers Block this week, all in the Merge section. They are:
- Donated $10 to the Obama campaign (wish it was more, but I bought a birthday present with my dad and I haven’t been reimbursed yet)
- Sat glued to TV set for DNC. Am prepared to do same for RNC in the name of fairness but I can’t say I expect to enjoy any of it.
What I am doing this weekend?
- Gapers Block get-together tonight! Though I must confess I am feeling anti-social (and also broke!) and may bag to go home, watch whatever rerun of “Doctor Who” I have on my DVR and drink a bottle of lambic.
- work: start work on freelance piece for TOC, write more for book proposal, recap episode 2 of “The Cho Show”
- Ikea with Nite & Jeff! I was thinking of scamming the clearance section for cheap curtains, and at the very least get me some balls. Swedish meatballs, that is.
- Thom’s birthday party
- goodbye drinks for Stef?
- grilling at Kathy’s?
News from the Flip Front expects to make its triumphant return this week. But in case you’ve been wondering:
- I’m good.
- Work is pretty quiet.
- Yes, I saw ‘The Dark Knight’ and I loved it.
- The “Watchmen” trailer melted my brain into a puddle of fangirl mush. Meaning, it was incredible, and you should see it, too.
- Oh yeah, I love Mad Men, too.
- No, nothing in Time Out since spring.
- No, but I’m working on a book with Nick. And I’m almost done with the outline for “Bamboo”, my Asian remake of Diana Ross vehicle “Mahogany”.
- Yes, they loved their visit to Chicago. And no, they didn’t completely drive me crazy.
- Oh yeah, she had the baby. The baby looks like Joe, but has Jacinda’s eyes and chin. And her hair, too.
- Still can’t vote. Or drive. Or ride a bicycle. Yes, I’ll be applying for citizenship some time this year.
- Really? You should have come over and said hi.
- I always look grumpy. I do that to keep the douches away.
- Update! I got a producer credit in the latest video from Internets Celebrities. Check it out!
- Facebook is still taking up more of the time I usually like to spend sleeping or writing. Damn social networking.
- I visited Stef in Baltimore in September. Didn’t take any pictures — bad Jasmine! Of course, we went to the mall.
- I saw “Behind The Green Door” again a few weeks ago at DOC Films. You know what’s weird about watching a XXX film in a theater full of film snobs, snickering college students, and possibly a few perverts? Surpisingly little. Marilyn Chambers was just gorgeous.
- I’ve been doing stuff for Disgrasian.com — please check it out if you’re not doing so already.
- I am taking suggestions for my next out of town trip. I’m thinking LA, though I know my mother would prefer New York.
Another win, this time care of a drawing sponsored by Giant Robot on the occasion of their fiftieth issue. I could have gotten a video game, but as I own no gaming systems, I asked to get the mimobot® instead, and I got it! I came home to find the fairybit mimobot® in my mailbox, and it is as cute as it is functional. Also, it comes with its own hoodie that you can clip onto a keychain or bag.
In other news, I bought some awesome books from Unabridged Books, Roast Chicken and Other Stories and The Geography of Bliss. And the latest issue of Time Out Chicago has my latest piece, “Domestic Blast”. Check it out.