Jeff and I saw Your Highness tonight. A few thoughts.
- The screening was not sold out. Does that mean there is no buzz about this movie, or there is buzz, but it is not very good?
- Roger Ebert and Chaz Ebert were at the screening tonight. Change of pace for Team Ebert, seeing a movie with civilians, or is this movie not being made available to critics before release?
- According to the movie’s Wikipedia page, the dialogue was improvised, with the script providing only an outline of the action.
- You know what? I could tell.
- Jeff heard one line in the movie that he liked, but he could only sorta remember what it was.
- This movie felt a bit like those movies made by Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer — Date Movie, Epic Movie — but without any real shock or gross-out humor.
- Except maybe for the minotaur penis.
- I thought, given the title and all, there’d be more drug jokes. Or maybe we’d be given some drugs to make it funnier.
I really wanted to enjoy this movie because I liked the actors so much, and I really liked Pineapple Express, but it was not to be.
- This movie looked like it must have been a lot of fun to make.
I just wish it had been more fun to watch.
Update! More bullet points below!
- I just watched the trailer again, and it reminded me that, as my friend Alissa (who also saw it at a screening, but in Austin) said, there were more chuckles than I’d remembered, as opposed to guffaws.
- Especially for that “If your vagina is anything like my hand, then we should have no problem.” line.
- I applaud the makeup department for making Justin Theroux look totally unlike his usual hottie self.
- Also the hair on the dudes — well, those dudes that had hair — was pretty terrible. Which means it was pretty great.
- Yes, Danny McBride’s hair was all up in a mullet just like Kenny Powers. I mean, would you expect any different?