Season 3 of ‘The Big Bang Theory” premiered last night with “The Electric Can Opener Fluctuation”, and I was not disappointed in its return. Though I have a few things to nitpick about:
- So apparently living in a tiny research station in the Arctic with Sheldon was so awful that Raj, Leonard, and Howard plotted (though never carried about) ways to bring about his demise. We heard about it, but I would have liked to see some awfulness. Maybe in a short flashback?
- Why didn’t we hear about what Penny was up to while they were away? Probably not germane, at least not at the moment, but I wonder if Penny’s going to work at the Cheesecake Factory forever. Could she at least get rid of that awful uniform? The servers at the Cheesecake Factory here in Chicago wear white shirts and pants with black ties. Or so I ‘ve heard. Because you know I only eat at fancy places. Because I’m fancy.
- Chemistry between Sheldon and Penny seems stronger than between Leonard and Penny. I think everybody knows this, so I don’t see Leonard and Penny redux having a big future. At the same time, that epilogue with them in bed, acknowledging the weirdness of them finally, you know, doing it, makes sense of their chemistry? I don’t think that Leonard/Penny lacks chemistry, but Sheldon/Penny chemistry is just so wonderful that it would be hard to compete with.
Stuff I loved about “The Electric Can Opener Fluctuation” season premiere:
- Arctic facial hair! The boys looked like cavemen Beatles.
- Howard keeping the mustache
- Howard in general
- we meet Mrs. Cooper (played by the always awesome Laurie Metcalf) again
- the return of “Soft Kitty”!
I like The Onion’s A.V. Club television coverage of this and many other shows. Click here to read their recap of “The Electric Can Opener Fluctuation”.